Saturday, February 24, 2007

When Are The Playoffs?




Ethan had his last basketball game of the season. We were very grateful for his two coaches. Coach Tim and Coach Larry did a spectacular job with the boys. At the beginning of the season, the boys' play resembled marbles rolling randomly in a box. Kids ran every which way. Some kids shouting for the ball. Others, not sure if they were playing defense or offense or which team they were on. The boys improved all season and saved their best game for last. Ethan also saved his best game for the end. He was aggressive on defense. He shot the ball a few times. And.....He made his first shot! I don't know who was more excited. Lady Di and I both jumped up and started shouting, "Who Let the Dogs Out! Who,Who,Who,Who". Then we did body slams and high fives. Well, with Lady Di they are more like medium fives. I think Ethan surprised himself. It took a few seconds before he put both hands in the air and shouted, "Wooo". We'll have to work on his showboating skills. Little sister, Emery, kept coloring her book, oblivious to what had happened.
After Ethan made his shot, he got recharged with renewed energy. It was like someone had shot him with adrenaline. He was racing all over on defense. He wasn't even guarding his own guy anymore. He just followed the ball from player to player. He then appeared out of nowhere to steal the ball once.
After the game he and his sister wanted to shoot around some more before we went home. This was also a first. He usually is tired and wants to go straight home. He showed Mom how to dribble without looking at the ball. Lady Di showed him how to slam dunk.
It is sad to see the season end, but I'm glad Ethan had a good game. He wasn't the best player, but he improved each game and always gave his best effort. That's all I can ask. I suppose I should call the NBA to let them know we are on our way. Now I will have to teach him some of my secret basketball weapons. (Grabbing jerseys, throwing elbows, trash talking, etc) Don't worry, I will stretch out first.

1 comment:

simplicity said...

So very glad he had such a great game. He deserved it and his hard work paid off!

Way to go Ethan!

Stuff About Me

My photo
I'm a 40 year old dad of two. My wonderful wife, Lady Di, and I try to keep the kids from blowing things up here in central Minnesota.