Thursday, February 21, 2008

And God said, "Let there be light!"

Let me know if this has ever happened to you. The family and I were attending our Wednesday night church service last night. At ten minutes before the start of service, I made sure that both kids used the bathroom. On occasion, we have been caught in the middle of service to attend to a bathroom emergency. And since we usually sit towards the front of the church, it is a long walk past the knowing looks of the congregation to the back of the church when one of the kids has to go.

So as Number One Son and I entered the bathroom, a couple of other men were just exiting, leaving N1S and myself alone in the bathroom. We each took a stall. When N1S was finished, he went to the sink to wash his hands. After drying, he went out the door and out of habit, turned the lights off on his way out. That left me sitting in the complete dark. No windows, no emergency lights, no fancy church candles, complete blackness. To make matters worse, the toilet paper wouldn't unroll and I couldn't see where the end started. So I tried scratching all around the roll to find the end of the paper with no success. I knew church would be starting soon, so I gave the roll a vicious Price Is Right Wheel spin. That worked but I now had half a roll of paper on the floor. Just as I solved my paper problem, someone came into the bathroom and turned the lights back on. He was probably puzzled as to why the lights were off, but I'm sure he was even more confused when I came out of the stall a minute later.

I'm glad we both upheld the 'guy rule' of keeping our eyes down at all times in the bathroom. Hopefully, he didn't recognize me as I power walked to the sink and ducked out the door.

When I asked N1S why he shut off the lights, he said he didn't even remember doing it. I guess I will have to start bringing a flashlight to church.

12 comments:

Charlie Blockhead said...

You just gotta love that "Guy Rule"

pixie said...

Why does it seem that as soon as church starts, the kids suddenly decide they have to pee? That is Monkey's newest trick, since she knows it is with great urgency that I take her to the bathroom when she says she has to go. I'm not about to tell a 3-year-old to "wait," and she takes advantage of that in church every Sunday!

ALF said...

ha ha ha! Great story!

Darren said...

Funny story. In this case, I probably would have said that my son just walked out and turned the light off. That might be better than being caught in a dark bathroom.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

What a great story. Wonder what was going through the other guy's head when he walked into an empty bathroom to the sound of a desparately spinning wheel. Thank goodness for 'eyes down' rule.

The Father of Five said...

DS, I know that I will never have to deal with an awkard moment like yours due to Paruresis and Parcopresis!

As far as the "Guy Rule" goes.... That I do have to deal with, since my boys seem to have to leave their mark EVERYEWHERE we go....

Marla said...

That is too funny. I was cracking up reading this. I bet that guy really wondered what the heck you were doing in there.

I guess your kids were taught to turn off the lights when they leave a room and he was just doing that. Very funny.

Anonymous said...

I had a wonderful image there - very funny. Maybe you could divulge a little more 'guys' rules stuff for us woman out here?

DJ Kirkby said...

Nope never happened to me, we still use the disabled toilets when we go out as N3S can't quite be trusted to not flush himself and/or assorted other items down the toilet...yet!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Stuff About Me

My photo
I'm a 40 year old dad of two. My wonderful wife, Lady Di, and I try to keep the kids from blowing things up here in central Minnesota.