Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Liquid Fence, Part II

If anyone remembers my episode with the liquid fence, you will know that I was pretty much avoided for a half a day due to an unfortunate spill. This week I got up the courage to revisit the liquid fence and put it to use.

For the last couple of years, we have had a problem with multiple rabbits eating everything in our yard. All winter these rabbits would gnaw every bush we had down to the ground and leave mounds of pellets in their wake.

So now we fast forward to this week. I got my sprayer down from the shelf and filled it with 1 gallon of water. I then grabbed the bottle of concentrated egg putrescents and garlic bits.

Did you think I was going to drop it again? Sorry, I was much more careful this time. Although the childproof cap made me nervous when I had to firmly press down while turning.

I mixed the formula and sprayed a defensive perimeter around the yard. I also sprayed around our front porch where we suspect a den of rabbits may be living.

Once done, I waited for the liquid fence's claim of 'Odorless when dry' to come true. I'm still waiting.

Lady Di was less than impressed. She asked me if I was going to put the sitting chairs on the porch this year since it was too stinky to sit out there anyway.

Sweet Pea also had her opinion of the fence's usefulness. "Your fence stinks! Maybe you should find one that doesn't smell to us but rabbits don't like it."

She was further angered by how the fence was affecting her social life. "Dad!", she complained, "M and D (neighbor kids) don't like your fence either. They just ran away."

This fence is already working.



PS:This all happened three weeks ago. Yesterday morning, I was dismayed to see one of the bunnies happily enjoying a barberry bush salad not ten feet from our front door. I guess I will have to mix up a sprayerful of stink fence to keep in the house for when I have to storm out the front door with guns blazing. I think I will also have Sweet Pea make some 'No Bunnies' signs to post in our yard. That'll show 'em. My next strategy will be to watch old Warner Bros. cartoons to learn the tactics Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck used on rabbits.

5 comments:

James (SeattleDad) said...

Soon after they will be crossing the fence disguised as pretty girls and you will be so ga-ga that you won't know that it is weally a wabbit.

Brenda Ruberto said...

Be vewwwy, vewwwy quiet...

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol. Reminds me of our crushed eggshell slug deterrant last year, ooooh the smell...I s'pect SP's signs will work though :) Could she please make one for our dinner table which will assure N3S that we really are NOT trying to sneak sweet potato into him by disgusing it as chopped carrot? Though if you do come up with a method of turing sweet potato into a carrot digusie do let us know!

Dad Stuff said...

James:Sweet Pea did notice some lipstick missing.

B-Rub:Do you have a silencer?

DJ:A sweet potato in carrot shape with a sprig of broccoli on top. Sorry, that's all I have. I don't like sweet potatoes either.

DJ Kirkby said...

Pah your no help and it is no wonder. How can anyone NOT like sweet potatos? I don't understand it...I mean they are sweet for starters.

Stuff About Me

My photo
I'm a 40 year old dad of two. My wonderful wife, Lady Di, and I try to keep the kids from blowing things up here in central Minnesota.