Sunday, January 13, 2008

Basketball Memories

Number One Son is, once again, playing on a basketball league this year. Last year, he showed some real improvement, so I hope he will be able build on that success.

Before his first formal practice, I thought it would be a good idea to refresh our muscles at the local open gym.

I posted about what happened last year at the gym and this year I did much better. I stood back and let N1S do most of the playing. We practiced shooting, dribbling and passing. We played a little one on one and worked up a little bit of a sweat.

When it was time to go home, we changed our shoes, got our backpack and started out. I noticed that N1S forgot his coat, so I gave him some subtle hints to see if he would remember before we went out into the arctic air. We are trying to teach N1S how to be more responsible for his own things.

I asked him if he was ready to go.

"Yup"

"You didn't forget anything?"

"Nope"

"What do we usually wear in the winter?

"Boots"

"What else?"

"Hmmm...jackets...Oh yeah. I'll go get my coat."

I'm sure he would have remembered eventually on his own, but I didn't want to be all the way to the pick-up before he did.

On the way home, N1S drank his juice box and we pulled into the garage. I handed N1S his backpack and asked, "Hey, did you see where my gloves went?"

I then remembered that I had laid them on the floor, next to the backpack, next to the bleachers at the gym.

I guess I deserved the drive back to retrieve them.

3 comments:

Marla said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I am going to put you on my blog roll. Would you mind putting me on yours? Thanks!

SciFi Dad said...

Sometimes, even parents need a wedgie from life to put them back in their place.

Sarah said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

I found a wonderful book that Google's posted online. It's a 1901/1920 copy of A Manual of Toxicology. The link goes directly to the Lightning Hot Drops page but you can access the entire book from the linked page.

Stuff About Me

My photo
I'm a 40 year old dad of two. My wonderful wife, Lady Di, and I try to keep the kids from blowing things up here in central Minnesota.