Friday, August 15, 2008

Quiet! The Olympics Are On.

The Stuff household has contracted Olympic Fever. I don't know why, but this year's Olympic games have got us hooked. The opening ceremonies were pretty spectacular and the kids really enjoyed them. Now, every morning, the kids decide to split half of their cartoon watching time with the Today show, to see Olympic updates. Once the real games come on in late morning, it's hard to pull them away. I guess it's always hard to pull them away from the TV, but at least watching the Olympics is a little more educational.

For example, Number One Son now knows the rule differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball. One team plays to 25 and the other plays to 21. I think that is what he told me anyway. Plus the uniforms are drastically different.

The Olympics are also providing opportunities to expand our vocabularies. Quite often I will hear N1S exclaim, "Ooooh, that was a tremendous dive!" Or he will utter, "Oh no, that fall will be disastrous for her score."

I could also tell that he is paying attention to some of the individual athletes. When women's swimming was coming up next, he excitedly said, "I hope Katie Hoff is in this race."
How does he know who Katie Hoff is? I don't even know who Katie Hoff is. She did happen to be in that race, and she was the favorite. N1S knows his stuff.

Sweet Pea's Olympic interests are less academic and more kinetic. She has been jumping, running and cartwheeling along with the athletes. She also is asking if she can be in gymnastics again. I have a feeling a lot of gymnastics and swimming camps are going to see an increase in enrollment due to Olympic fever. I even caught N1S 'rowing' in front of the TV while following the two-man rowing team.

Even the medals ceremonies have inspired Sweet Pea to display all three of her soccer medals earned in the past two years along with an inspirational and nationalistic poster.
Hopefully, we will be motivated to emulate some of the spirit of the games into our lives, long after the Olympics are over. Sportsmanship, national pride and exercise are all worthy goals to reach for. The kids both start swimming lessons next week. I'm sure there will be many mentions of Michael Phelps. If they want to be like Mike, that's fine with me. I won't be able to afford the new Olympic Speedo swim suit that is breaking all records this year. So the kids will have to make due with t-shirts and trunks. As for myself, I'm still petitioning the Olympic committee to include Lawn Grooming for the 2012 games in London.

3 comments:

pixie said...

We've been glued to the Olympics. The kids enjoy watching gymnastics, while Hubby is constantly watching all the volleyball and basketball events. I am addicted to Michael Phelps -- uh, I mean... the SWIMMING events.

Russell said...

Lawn grooming! Okay! Did you hear that softball is out?! The USA didn't let anyone else win!! True!!!

Glad to hear you and your family are taking in the games! Take care.

Lanny said...

In honor of your word for the day:

Strictly Germ-proof
Arthur Guiterman. 1871–

The Antiseptic Baby and the Prophylactic Pup
Were playing in the garden when the Bunny gamboled up;
They looked upon the Creature with a loathing undisguised;-
It wasn't Disinfected and it wasn't Sterilized.
 
They said it was a Microbe and a Hotbed of Disease;
They steamed it in a vapor of a thousand-odd degrees; 
They froze it in a freezer that was cold as Banished Hope 
And washed it in permanganate with carbolated soap.
 
In sulphurated hydrogen they steeped its wiggly ears; 
They trimmed its frisky whiskers with a pair of hard-boiled shears;
They donned their rubber mittens and they took it by the hand
 
And elected it a member of the Fumigated Band.
There's not a Micrococcus in the garden where they play; 
They bathe in pure iodoform a dozen times a day; 
And each imbibes his rations from a Hygienic Cup—
The Bunny and the Baby and the Prophylactic Pup.


I think lawn grooming, if it ever has a chance, has it's best chance at Olymics held in the UK. Keep bugging them.

Stuff About Me

My photo
I'm a 40 year old dad of two. My wonderful wife, Lady Di, and I try to keep the kids from blowing things up here in central Minnesota.