Monday, August 25, 2008

Double Digits

Happy Birthday Number One Son! I can't believe you are ten years old. It's been an exciting and rewarding ten years for all of us. You've been growing up too fast since the day you arrived three months early. You have been a blessing for Lady Di and I since then too. Where have the last ten years gone? It's hard to believe you once weighed only three pounds and fit in my palm. Now you are almost as tall as Lady Di and your palm size is creeping closer to mine each day. I'm happy that you are ten and at the same time I don't want you to be ten yet. There were many years in your life that I just wanted to freeze time. When you were born. When you walked the first time. The first Christmas that you could talk. Your first day of school. Your first score in a basketball game. Whatever age you were, I wanted you to just stay that way forever. Then you reached another milestone or did something else that filled me with pride and I wanted you to stay at that age too. It's natural for a parent to want their kids to stay small and innocent as long as possible. I have be content with enjoying the now, remembering the past and anticipating the future. The most important being, getting the most out of the present to make the past as memorable as possible. The best part of it is, no matter how fast you grow, no matter how many birthdays you celebrate, no matter how big your hands get, you will always be my boy. Happy Birthday Son!

Here's a few pictures of him. Some old, some new, all N1S. Don't let Sweet Pea know that there aren't any pictures of her. We'll get her pictures up next May.

I hope you noticed that only two of those pictures were from Halloween. You're growing up too fast, kid. Let's make the next ten years slow down a bit.

6 comments:

Practically Joe said...

I want to get me one of them mohawk cuts!
Happy B-Day No1 Son!

pixie said...

Awww... so sweet! Happy Bday, N1S!

The Father of Five said...

Congratulations to N1S (and to the parents who got him there)!

Hope your birthday is/was/will be exactly what you want it to be!

Many happy thoughts from the FOF family!!

Darren said...

Happy 10th to Number One Son!

Russell said...

Congratulations! As the father of a nearly 21-year old college junior, here's my thought for the day: take a day (or two or three) off work and just do something with your son or all the children or the whole family!! Believe me, you will never, never forget it nor regret it!

I still can't look at photo albums... I only tell you that so you will know NOW is the time to be doing things! Not tomorrow - N..O..W!!

I have a feeling you do a lot of things with the family as it is -- but do more.....

Take care!

DJ Kirkby said...

Awwwww. Your words made me feel tearful and the photos made me laugh. Happy birthday to N1S!!!!

Stuff About Me

My photo
I'm a 40 year old dad of two. My wonderful wife, Lady Di, and I try to keep the kids from blowing things up here in central Minnesota.